10 years ago-- Remembering 9/11

My son came home today with some interesting homework.  He was given a piece of paper that encourages him to have a day of service and remembrance in commemoration with the 10th anniversary of the attacks on 9/11.

He has no idea what 9/11 is.

I have been searching for a long time for information that I can teach my five year old about September 11th.

I remember that day very clearly.

I was a sophomore in college.

I woke up late for class and ran out the door not talking to anyone until I sat down in my class.

Suddenly I noticed everyone talking tragically about

 airplanes

and crashes

buildings

and new york

and terrorists

I had no idea what was going on.

I figured it was some new movie everyone was talking about.

My teacher came in and we had a very serious discussion.

Class was dismissed.

I ran home.

Glued to my television I beheld sites I will never forget.







I am sure my five year old has never heard of 9/11, or terrorists, or Twin Towers.

His world is peaceful and happy.

But I want to teach him about our history that happened not too long ago.  Five years before he was born.

But where do I start?

I found this amazing resource and wanted to share it with you. Click Here.

It comes from the website http://www.911memorial.org/

I spent a lot of time today trying to find just the right way to approach this subject.  This fits my vision perfectly.



Linked in.


Comments

Adrianne Surian said…
Thanks for dropping by Happy Hour Projects, I wanted to stop by and visit you back!

Thanks for sharing the resource. I, too, was glued to my TV. I had a lot of friends who were police officers, and I was so worried that there might be dangerous chemicals or who knows what on-site, where they had all gone to volunteer to help with cleanup and to honor the fallen. Surreal, that time was.

Hard to want to share such horror with a generation who didn't have to witness it when it happened. Good luck wih your history lesson, though, it's important when you handle it in the right way!
Lindsay said…
Thanks for sharing this. It will be a hard thing to explain to my children one day as well.
great post! Thanks for sharing! I would love it if you would share this and/or any other projects you have been up to at Tuesday Talent Show at Chef In Training! Thanks so much and I hope to see you there!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Popular Posts