Patchwork Quilt, for non-quilters

Attention: If you are a skilled quilter and own one of those quilt cutter--rollie-thingers-- you might not want to read this post.  The juvenile-ness of it, might make you squirm. This includes my sister-in-law who is a fabulous quilter.

For you see, this is:


Quick background, this is my 2nd patchwork quilt now.  I describe in another post how the first one was lost in San Diego.  The 1st one was also very small, I made this second one about 4 times bigger.


Okay, onto business.  

MATERIALS:
1. 2 yards of minky fabric
2. Six 1/2 yards of matching fabrics
3. Cardboard
4. Normal sewing materials

STEP ONE: Cut out a cardboard square.
I cut up a cheerio box 8" by 8".

STEP TWO: Use the 8' x 8' square to be the guide for cutting 49 fabric squares out.
I did find this tool (green rolly tool-- which I have no idea what it's name is) that I used to trace the square onto my fabric.  It made a little indention that I could use as my guide for cutting my square pieces. 


STEP THREE: Decide on the pattern you want for your quilt.  Place pieces so they're overlapping (since you'll be sewing them together). 

STEP FOUR: Next, you'll pin each square (in it's row) with right sides together.  

STEP FIVE: Sew the pinned squares together. At the end you'll have 7 long strips all sewn together.


 STEP SIX:  Next you're going to take those 7 long strips and pin them together with the strip above them (right sides together).
I do this one strip at a time. Sew it up, pin the next strip on top, repeat 7 times.

At then end you have your patchwork all sewn together, now you need to add it to your minky back fabric. 

STEP SEVEN: Place your (freshly sewn) patchwork squares in the middle of the minky fabric.  Fold all the sides up twice and pin like Crazy!

STEP EIGHT: Sew the minky fabric in place to be your boarder.
I fold the corners in and sew up and down each corner.
Also, FYI Minky is hard to sew.  It stretches and moves all the time so be prepared for a little extra frustration.


STEP NINE: Sew down the middle to keep the fabric all in place.
Since I didn't want this to be too obvious I sewed down middle twice following one of the strips.  If needed you could also do this going the other direction, too.


STEP TEN: Enjoy.


Here's the birthday boy, enjoying all his new presents under his new blankie.

Good night, son.

FYI-- He loves his new blankie and I think he would notice if it were lost now.

Comments

sstone said…
Thanks so much for this. I'm NOT a quilter, but I've done a couple, and I've taken a few shortcuts, like with binding and the actual "quilting" part. I'm so glad to see someone else doing that.:)
Shiloh
everydaygameplan.net
Jennifer said…
Awesome!! So not a quilter but I think I might could do this technique! Thanks for the great tutorial!
And thanks for sharing at Show & Share!
Chris said…
Hi there, what a cute little quilt. I bet some little person was really pleased to receive this. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

Popular Posts