Steak with Mushroom Sauce, Cauliflower Puree, and Asparagus

As you can imagine when we heard the sentence news of all the different food that my husband could no longer eat, it was rather distressing.  He, for obvious reasons and I suppose Me for selfish reasons.  

I had a full day of "Poor me!" as I realized that cooking was about to get 100% harder.  My husband likes to cook, but working full time on his PhD doesn't allow for a lot of extra time for anything.  Usually he's working at school late, but if he does manage to come home for dinner he's walking in at 6:30.  So dinner time, by necessity  is placed squarely on my shoulders. Cooking, something I've never particularly enjoyed in the first place-- and take out all the dinners I was used to cooking = Poor Me.

I was still in the swallows of Poor Me when I was reading Real Simple Magazine.

I came across their 20 minute dinner section and was shocked to see a dinner listed there that looked equal parts yummy and something he could eat.

I quickly tore this recipe out of the magazine, and after acquiring the ingredients made it a few days later.

Thoughts?

We LOVED it!

It had everything we needed simple, delicious, and free of all the crazy things he could no longer eat.

 
Visit Real Simple for the full recipe.
CLICK HERE for my printable version.

Steak with Mushroom Sauce, Cauliflower Puree, and Asparagus
Recipe adapted from Real Simple Magazine.
http://freshlycompleted.blogspot.com/

Ingredients
1  cauliflower cut into small florets
2  TBS  dairy free butter
Sea salt and black pepper
1  TBS  safflower oil (or olive oil)
1 1/2  pounds steak, cut into 4 pieces
10  ounces mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
1/2  cup  balsamic vinegar (or red or white wine)
1 bundle of asparagus, snap off the tough ends

Directions
Steam the cauliflower in a large pot until very tender, 18 to 22 minutes. Transfer to a food processor, add the butter, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and puree until smooth. 
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the steak with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing; reserve the skillet. Add the mushrooms to the drippings in the skillet and cook, tossing occasionally, until browned and tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the vinegar (or wine) and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced and syrupy, 2 to 3 minutes more; season with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. 
Meanwhile steam or boil the asparagus 5-8 minutes.
 Serve the steak with the cauliflower puree. Top with the mushroom sauce.  Asparagus on the side.


Also, I will mention on the side of the recipe in the magazine it mentions that you can substitute balsamic vinegar for red wine, which we usually do.  We've done it both ways and prefer the balsamic vinegar better.  
Oh, and of course, we use dairy free butter.

This is a special dinner for me.  Not only do we always enjoy eating it, but it was a symbol to me that this new lifestyle of eating could be done and figured out.  It would take work-- but it would be worth it.


Comments

KT said…
That looks super yummy. Way to go.
This looks divine!!! Pinning :)
Melissa said…
Sounds good! Thanks for sharing your recipes. I'm pinning this one. :)
Jo-Lynne Shane said…
That looks delicious!
Stef said…
Looks so good! We love balsamic vinegar marinade for our steak, too - it's the best! It can be so hard to essentially relearn everything you know and rely on for feeding your family, but it also frees you up to try new things and discover new ingredients!! I've been there! Email me if you want to chat food restrictions!!

Popular Posts