March 20, 2013

GF + DF Delicious Lemon Orange Cream Frosting

I'm excited to share with you one of the first things I ever made that was both Gluten and Dairy Free.

About 4 weeks after learning of all the changes we needed to make for my husband's diet, it was going to be his birthday.  I was extremely worried that I wasn't going to be able to make him anything edible for him to enjoy on his special day.
I spent weeks online trying to figure out HOW I was going to manage the most simplest thing...a birthday cake. (Remember I was still really new at this).

I started on Amazon and typed in gluten and dairy free white cake.
Then I proceeded to buy 6 Bob's Red Mill Vanilla cake mixes.

Then I spent several days looking online for a simple frosting that I could make.
Many of the recipes included crazy ingredients I hadn't yet acquired.

I wanted a simple recipe.  Everything was too much to handle already.  I needed a simple frosting recipe to make for my husband.  So I made one up.  


I was super proud of my recipe.  The cake and the frosting were delicious.  
Believe me, I gave myself a huge pat on the back for this one. I stored the cake in the fridge and I loved the cool, refreshing, delicious cake.


Lemon + Orange Cream Frosting
An original gluten and dairy free recipe from Freshly Completed.
http://freshlycompleted.blogspot.com/

Makes enough to frost tops and sides of two 9-inch cake layers
Start to Finish 20 minutes.
·                   2Ingredients
½ C. Non-dairy Butter (Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread)
1 tsp. Vanilla
5 1/2 cups sifted Powdered Sugar
¼ C. Lemon Juice
2 Tbs. Orange Peel zest

Directions
Beat non-dairy butter and vanilla until fluffy. Add powdered sugar alternately with Lemon juice beating well after each addition.  Add 1 tbs. orange peel zest and beat until nice and fluffy.  Frost cake.  Add last tablespoon of orange peel zest to top of cake.  Enjoy!


And since I wasn't planning at the time to blog about this cake I don't have any fancy pictures.  But here are some from his special day.  And where as I stressed and spent weeks planning his birthday cake...I spent 0 time thinking about his birthday candles.  
He's pretending to blow these "candles" out.  I just added some in post editing.
Thanks for joining me in my first What's for Dinner Wednesdays?
Okay, I know this isn't dinner...but you get the idea.

6 comments:

KT said...

Looks way yummy!!

meandmr.com said...

Newest follower here! I found you through the blog hop, you have a wonderful blog! You can find me at meandmr.com

-Melanie @ meandmr.com

Laura Ryder said...

ALOHA!! That cakes looks so good!! Now I am going to have to hut the pantry!!

New follower!!

Laura@MiceInTheKitchen.com

DomesticSuperhero.com said...

Mmm, this looks really tasty! Also, I love your blog layout, so refreshing and simple! I love it! Thanks coming by Sharing with Domestic Superhero Thursday's Link Party and sharing this!

Jo-Lynne {Musings of a Housewife} said...

That looks so good! I just pinned it.

ricky albert danganan said...

Hello there,
Great foods!! Thank you so much for sharing these, we are truly inspired!!! We would like to add your blog to the Top Food Blog list in www.mytaste.com/ with over 6 million users worldwide... Your blog is impressively BEAUTIFUL and deserves to be included on the Top list!!

We will feature your blog and create shout outs about your recipes to our fan pages.
MyTaste is a social platform for foodies and blogs/sites owners like you and it helps to reach more people, get more visibility from the web and share/save foods and recipes. Some of them receive at least 10,000 visits from us on a weekly basis.

If you’d like to be featured, expand your readership and JOIN TOP FOOD BLOGS, here's the link where you can add your blog to the list>> http://www.mytaste.com/top-food-blogs (Joining won't cost you any cents)
Kind regards
-Ricky