How to Make Simple Guardians of the Galaxy Costumes


As I mentioned in my last post, we decided as a family this year for Halloween to be 
The Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3!

Being the guardians seems like a very tall order...but once I realized they all wear matching outfits that kind of look like these coveralls from Amazon, I realized maybe this sewing task wouldn't be too large.



After purchasing 6 coveralls from Amazon (and only exchanging sizes twice) I went to JoAnn to pick up a few more fabrics to accessorize.


I needed the blue cotton for making the front panel. I couldn't find a red fake leather fabric, which was my preference, so I went with this red knit. The black, fake leathers were for both my Gamora Jacket and to accessorize the jumpsuits.  I also realized after purchasing the geometric fabric that that fabric would make a perfect arm for Nebula.  



Here's how to make your own Guardian's Jumpsuits!

First I measured out this almost rectangle shape for each jumpsuit.  
Then I serged all the edges.


As I mentioned, I wanted to use fake red leather, but that wasn't available, so I used this almost shiny red knit fabric.  It needed to be thicker, so I ironed on some fusible interfacing.  Then I cut up all my fabric into about 2.5" strips.  I measured out and made those strips into details to wrap around my almost rectangular shape.




After wrapping around my shape, I added two long strips down the front, past the pockets, and sewed them in place.


Everything was kind of coming together!  I repeated this step 6 times for each jumpsuit.

Then I made the patches for the front. I found this super useful image on the web.




I knew I didn't want to sew, intricate patches-- no time for that. So I copied the image on some suede fabric I had and drew in the details with marker. 



Then I sewed them in place.

Really my last step was to add some sort of shiny button to hold everything in place.

I checked out my stash and realized I had some leftover suspender clips that I had purchased years before.  That worked perfectly!



All done with the main costumes!




Come back tomorrow where I'll share how I made Rocket and Baby Groot.


 

Comments

Popular Posts