How to Make A HOME T-Shirt

This year for Christmas I was very much in a "I'm going to make the present" kind of mood.

I made lots of my presents.  
Each one of them fun and adding a little personal touch.

On my in-law side we rotate names and give to one person each year.  This year I was given the name of my oldest brother-in-law.  Currently he and his cute family reside in Texas-- which he really loves and embraces, including wearing cowboy boots and shopping at H-E-B.

So I knew I wanted to make him a shirt sharing his love of home.



MATERIALS
1. Print out of your state
2. Freezer paper
3. Fabric Paint
4. Iron
5. T-shirt
First, Buy your shirt.
I found a nice soft, Mossimo one from Target.

STEP ONE: Find and print out a map of your state.
I googled "simple Texas map" to find my map.  
I opened it in Microsoft Publisher and made it super big and added the word, "home." and a star to show where they live. The top of my state was cut off so I could make it that big.  I added it after.


If you're interested you can use my file.

(Right click on the image to save, and print on an 8x11 page to get the proper size)


STEP TWO: Place your state under the freezer paper and trace.

STEP  THREE: Cut out your state, letters, and star with an exacto knife.

STEP FOUR: Line up your state, letters, and star on your shirt.

STEP FIVE: Iron everything down.

STEP SIX: Paint with fabric paint.
I usually place newspaper in between the shirt so no paint goes through.
I did four layers of paint letting each dry for about 1 1/2 each before adding the next layer.

STEP SEVEN: Once everything's dry peel off all the freezer paper.  
Last thing to do is place a towel on top of the painted part of the shirt and iron everything together for 30 seconds.

All done!


Comments

Unknown said…
That's really awesome!!!!!! LOVE it!
Anonymous said…
Wow! That is super cute! I may have to this too. As an Army family it's fun to see where people are from since we move often! :)
Clever! Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!

Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino
The Chicken Chick
http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com
Anonymous said…
This is a great tutorial of the freezer paper method-- I've never tried it. I'm not sure my hand is steady enough to cut out the state. That looks like hard work!

~Emily
I love this shirt! I am featuring it at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com.
Theresa said…
I love this shirt! I am going to have to do a few Michigans. Thank you for posting such a well written, clear tutorial.
Leslie said…
What a great tutorial! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!
Just Squirrelly said…
What a great idea!! Totally want to make some of these - maybe cheat and use my Silhouette to cut out the maps. (Still learning how to use it.) Thanks!
JillyBean3321 said…
Love this shirt idea! Do you know what font this is? Thanks!

Popular Posts