How to teach Primary Songs using a Chart Tablet

I was so excited a few months ago when I was called to serve in Primary, to be the new Primary Chorister.  I've served a few times in Primary and it's always a happy place.  I love the simple truths and messages of love and understanding primary songs bring.

After my call, I spent hours pouring over the handbook and different websites trying to decide how I could best teach the songs to the children.  Then it was time to begin.  But instead of being in the Primary room, as one might think, we began with all of the children (around 60) in the chapel, spaced out in pews.

I was worried that printed paper would be too small as I tried to teach songs and I didn't really want to roll the massive chalkboard into the chapel every Sunday.  Quickly, I remembered my days as an elementary teacher and how I loved teaching poems on large papers for the students to see.  

After some research I found Chart Tablets on Amazon. This was back in March and they were not on sale.  So I kept searching and found them on School Smart for a much better price and bought three.


When I was a teacher I had a large metal stand that I would hang my poems on.  That is not an option here, so I pulled out my old, large art clipboard and clipped it on for support.  At church I quickly grab an easel that looks like this and it makes everything easy to transport around. 


Mostly I try to stick with simple pictures that give the idea of what the words are.  This is helpful for junior primary who can't read and for senior primary, who are working on memorizing the words. I usually draw out a sketch on a piece of paper of how I want the page organized, then write and draw it out as large as I can on my chart tablet.  My daughters usually help me color each page.

Here are some examples of what I've made. 

"When He comes again" - left
"I Want to be a Missionary Now"- right




"Restored"

"I'm trying to be like Jesus"- left

"Me Encanta Ver el Temple" - right



Every week I bring my large tablet to and from church.  I love having all the songs saved in one place, as we sing I can easily flip back to what page we need.  It has worked out great!


Comments

Popular Posts