For Mother's Day yesterday my husband prepared the most delicious breakfast for me.
Two thing you must know about me to appreciate what an amazing Breakfast this was.
1. I Love Blueberries!
2. I Love French Toast!
Oh, so good. Can you see the Yummy?
Here's the recipe adapted slightly from this one found on All Recipes:
CREAM CHEESE FRENCH TOAST
12 slices day-old bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 1/2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 1/4 cups fresh blueberries
12 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon butter
1. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange half the bread cubes in the dish, and top with cream cheese cubes. Sprinkle 1 cup blueberries over the cream cheese, and top with remaining bread cubes.
2. In a large bowl, mix the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and syrup. Pour over the bread cubes. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
3. Remove the bread cube mixture from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Cover, and bake 30 minutes. Uncover, and continue baking 25 to 30 minutes, until center is firm and surface is lightly browned.
5. In a medium saucepan, mix the sugar, cornstarch, and water. Bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, cook 3 to 4 minutes. Mix in the remaining 1 cup blueberries. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, until the blueberries burst.
Stir in the butter, and pour over the baked French toast. Enjoy!